- When: 15, 22, and 29 November 2021 at 1 pm GMT
- How to Register: Click here to Register
PPD organizes its annual International Inter-Ministerial Conferences on South-South Cooperation in Population and Development which serves as a global platform for its member countries and development stakeholders for peer review, exchange knowledge and experience, networking, policy dialogues, bi-lateral commitments and to contribute towards the achievement of the unfinished agenda of the ICPD and SDGs through South-South and triangular cooperation.
The sessions will specifically discuss how to use SSTC in a post-COVID context to sustain the achievements made by PPD member countries in sexual and reproductive health, gender equality, youth empowerment and population and development.
The Inter-ministerial conference culminates in a call for action reflecting a consensus amongst members countries to address priority issues within MCs, as well as with other developing countries at the regional and global levels. The strategic dialogue at the Ministerial level on South-South Cooperation for Population and Development, jointly organized by the Partners in Population and Development (PPD) and the United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA) is to be held virtually through two-panel sessions and one plenary session on 15, 22 and 29 November 2021, respectively.
There is international recognition and acceptance of SSTC as a key mechanism for sustainable development as reflected in the BAPA+40 outcome document, the ICPD@25 Nairobi Commitments and SDG 17 “Strengthened Partnership for the Goals”
The organization of 18th International Inter-ministerial conference on population and development will provide a momentous occasion and the opportunity to strengthen South-South Cooperation through:
- Strengthening exchange of country-level success stories on RH and population in the context of COVID-19;
- realize increased government commitments and action for SSTC
- leverage additional funding and support from international agencies
- Mobilize domestic financing for SSTC
The events are a prospect to re-invigorate global, regional and domestic commitments for promoting and advancing SSC as a pathway to fostering political incentives for commitments and catalyzing transformative social movements and actions to address persistent and emerging new challenges for improved population and development at country levels.
Over the years, PPD has built a well-acknowledged and documented credible reputation for pursuing commitments, policies and programs and successful dedication to high-level advocacy, policy dialogues, exchange of information, best practices, research, training and technical cooperation. PPD, therefore, is well-positioned to organize this high-level Inter-Ministerial Conference in collaboration with UNFPA and its member countries. The “Sustainable Development Goal 3” focuses on population dynamics as its aim to ensure healthy lives and promote wellbeing for all at all ages. This goal cannot be achieved along with other related goals unless each and every developing country can ensure access to health care including family planning and sexual and reproductive health services and rights to all ages of populations.
It is necessary to advance policy dialogues through SSTC and use SSTC to address the challenges that affect population and development in developing countries particularly in the 27 member states of PPD.
Goals of the International Inter-Ministerial Conference
To promote and ensure South-South Cooperation for continued commitment and country ownership towards achieving the unfinished agendas of the ICPD and the SDGS.
To provide a high-level global forum for dialogue, advocacy, peer review and renewed commitments for:
- Advocating and generating support for strong national leadership and ownership for the improvement of adolescent’s access to sexual, reproductive health and family planning services with an adequate supply of RH commodities in PPD member countries during this global COVID-19 pandemic
- Advocating for mobilization of resources at all levels (domestic, regional and global) to ensure affordable and accessible maternal and child healthcare services during the COVID-19 crisis
- Partnership building amongst member countries and other development agencies for global solidarity, multilateralism and South-South cooperation for the post COVID era.
Conference Session and Themes
The virtual conference will have a short opening with 3-panel sessions focusing on ICPD and SDGs achievement during and post COVID-19crisis.
Session One: Accelerating the achievement of the unfinished agenda of the ICPD and SDGs during and post COVID-19 era through South-South and Triangular Cooperation
COVID-19 pandemic has made challenges to achieve ICPD and SDGs by 2030. This session will bring experts, leaders and policymakers together to discuss innovative and action-driven solutions to address the critical challenges that countries are facing due to COVID-19 so as to continue along the track of success and achievement of ICPD and SDGs.
The discussion includes,
- challenges faced due to COVID-19 in achieving ICPD and SDGs response to the COVID-19 crisis through SSTC to continue towards the achievement of the ICPD and 2030 agenda
- strengthen the capacity and knowledge management system in post-COVID-19 through partnerships
Session 2: Triangular cooperation post-BAPA+40: A multi-stakeholder partnership for the achievement of ICPD and 2030 Agenda
This session builds on the discussion on the same topic at the recent meeting of the High-level Committee on South-South Cooperation. The panel composed of experts from the Global North and South will look into how to expand PPD’s network of partners to include the Global North in working towards shared goals. Specifically, the panel will:
- Share knowledge and lessons learned on successful triangular cooperation in relevant thematic areas to demonstrate the importance of Triangular Cooperation in today’s world in working towards the ICPD and SDG goals. How to expand PPD’s network by including like-minded partners from the North
- Complementarity between the North and South through triangular cooperation.
Plenary Session: Promoting South-South Cooperation for Attaining ICPD and the Agenda 2030
This session will reconfirm the commitment of the PPD member countries to the continued implementation of the ICPD and SDGs through South-South and Triangular Cooperation. The session discussion will include:
- National level COVID-19 crisis and its implication to the investment in the achievement of the SDG 3 and ICPD
- Analysis of gaps and needs and domestic investments in the response to the COVID-19 crisis
- Integrating ICPD unfinished agenda into national development plans to achieve 2030 agenda
- High level political support and support from partnerships towards addressing COVID-19 challenges
- SSTC as an accelerator in global advocacy, knowledge exchange, technical cooperation and capacity development towards achieving ICPD and SDGs
Conclusion of the session with Adoption of Call for Action
This ministerial session will conclude with a call for action of 27 PPD alliance countries, UNFPA and UN Agencies and key stakeholders for re-invigorated SSTC in order to expedite the progress of achievement of ICPD and SDGs.
The conference will bring together high-level policy and leaders from PPD member countries, other developing countries and global and regional stakeholders engaged in the arena of RH population and development. Over 300 participants are expected to attend each session.
Click here to access the link for the event on the PPD website.