The General Assembly through resolution 73/292 decided to convene the 2020 United Nations Conference to Support the Implementation of Sustainable Development Goal 14: Conserve and sustainably use the oceans, seas and marine resources for sustainable development. The overarching theme of the Conference is “Scaling up ocean action based on science and innovation for the implementation of Goal 14: stocktaking, partnerships and solutions”.
Resolution 73/292 establishes that the Conference shall:
- Build on existing successful partnerships and stimulate innovative and concrete new partnerships to advance the implementation of Goal 14;
- Support further action to conserve and sustainably use the oceans, seas and marine resources for sustainable development, giving due consideration to the call made in the declaration entitled “Our ocean, our future: call for action”;
- Identify further ways and means to support the implementation of Goal 14;
- Involve all relevant stakeholders, bringing together Governments, the United Nations system, intergovernmental organizations, international financial institutions, other interested international bodies, non-governmental organizations, civil society organizations, academic institutions, the scientific community, the private sector, philanthropic organizations and other actors to assess challenges and opportunities relating to, as well as actions taken towards, the implementation of Goal 14;
- Share the experiences gained at the national, regional and international levels in the implementation of Goal 14;
- Identify possible challenges and obstacles relating to the achievement of all the targets under Goal 14, as well as opportunities and innovative ways and means to support their implementation;
- Invite Member States and other relevant stakeholders to provide an update on the implementation of the voluntary commitments made in the context of the United Nations Conference to Support the Implementation of Sustainable Development Goal 14: Conserve and sustainably use the oceans, seas and marine resources for sustainable development, and invite new voluntary commitments in support of Goal 14, as well as support the sharing of experiences and lessons learned on their implementation;
- Share ongoing efforts, successes and challenges between relevant ocean-related initiatives and processes with a view to promoting collaboration, cooperation and coordination, as well as preventing the unnecessary duplication of efforts, to ensure further efficiency and effectiveness in support of Goal 14;
- Contribute to the follow-up and review process of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development by providing an input to the high-level political forum on sustainable development, in accordance with resolutions 67/290 of 9 July 2013, 70/1, and 70/299 of 29 July 2016, unless otherwise agreed in line with the aforementioned resolutions, on the implementation of Goal 14, including on opportunities to strengthen progress in the future.
The Governments of Kenya and Portugal will co-host and assume all costs of the Conference.