- When: Tuesday, 12 January 2021, 3:30 pm (GMT+5) | 5:30AM (EST)
- To join this webinar, please click here. (Meeting ID: 858 1563 4101 | Password: 484746
The COMSATS Centre for Climate and Sustainability (CCCS) and the National Mathematical Center (NMC) of Nigeria are jointly organizing a webinar on Modeling and Simulation on Climate Change and Environmental Pollution: Strengthening Resilience in the Global South.
Simulation of the ice core model revealed that the concentration of carbon dioxide (Co2) in the atmosphere over the last 10,000 years has been increasing when compared with the ice core model in the last 50 years. This literally means that the earth’s solar radiation has increased with serious environmental impacts. The greenhouse gases, such as, water vapor, carbon dioxide, methane, nitrous oxide, and ozone have risen in the last century. Greenhouse gas emissions are more than 50 percent higher than in 1990. Global warming is causing long-lasting change to our climate system with irreversible consequences if no action is taken to ameliorate the situation.
In recent times, unprecedented increase in the anthropogenic activities has led to the pollution of the environment, increasing concentration of greenhouse gasses and other cooling aerosols. Continuing concentrations of GHGs at current rates is estimated to threaten the required levels to stay below a temperature increase of 1.5 °C above pre-industrial levels to avoid the disastrous impacts of climate change. Emissions of greenhouse gases has affected biome regiment of the ecosystem and led to climate change and resulting flooding, tornadoes and hurricanes globally. Today, pollution of air and water has tremendous effect on human health, agriculture, biodiversity, water and sanitation as it creates ecosystem imbalance. Addressing this challenge is one of the top priorities for the global community.
The webinar is designed within the framework of the UN Sustainable Development Goal- 13 in the framework of the 2030 Development Agenda SDG-13 on “Climate Action” which calls for “urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts”. Focus of the webinar will be two-fold. To discuss pathways to achieving the limit of the mean global temperature of two degree Celsius above pre-industrial level and to consider potential solutions to mitigate environmental problems caused by air and water pollution.
The webinar will be cohosted by COMSATS Center for Climate and Sustainability (CCCS) and National Mathematical Centre (NMC), Nigeria with the objectives to mobilize scientists, researchers and policy makers to exchange information, share knowledge and good practices to strengthen climate actions in the Global South in reducing emissions and increasing adaptation efforts.
Moderator: Mr. Bilal Anwar, General Manager Commonwealth Climate Finance Access Hub
1- Opening Remarks
- Ambassador Shahid Kamal, Head CCCS
2- Message by
- Prof. Stephen Onah, Director/CE, National Mathematical Centre, Abuja, Nigeria
3- Technical Session
- Dr. Daniel Benefoh, Deputy Director, Climate Change Unit, Environmental Protection Agency, Ghana
- Prof. Dr. Ghasem Azizi, Department of Physical Geography, University of Tehran, Iran.
- Prof B. O. Oyelami, Head, Mathematical Modeling and Simulation Research Group, National Mathematical Centre, Abuja, Nigeria
- Dr. Zia Ur Rehman Hashmi, Head of Water Research Section, Global Change Impact Studies Centre, Ministry of Climate Change, Pakistan
- Hüseyin Toros, Professor of Climate Change, Air Quality and Modelling, Istanbul Technical University (İTÜ); Turkey
4. Panel Discussion
6. Closing Remarks
- Dr. O. Abiri, Senior Research Fellow, NMC, Abuja, Nigeria