- When: 21 September 2021, 2:00 PM – 4:00 PM (GMT+5).
- Where to watch: Register for the event here, or watch it live on YouTube here.
- To download the official flyer, please click here.
In observance of this year’s United Nations Day for South-South Cooperation, the Commission on Science and Technology for Sustainable Development in the South (COMSATS) is organizing a webinar entitled “South-South Cooperation: Creating headways for Post-pandemic Inclusive Recovery”. The event will take place on 21 September 2021. The webinar will feature a series of high-level talks and presentations, followed by a discussion session.
Ever since the formulation of Millennium Development Goals (MDGs), later transformed into Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), the world has become increasingly conscious of the need for promoting South-South and Triangular cooperation in science and technology to address various socio-economic challenges. The COVID19 pandemic has further necessitated the development of new and innovative mechanisms to facilitate South-South Cooperation in order to not only overcome the current crisis but also to manage the aftermaths of the outbreak.
Over the past three decades, the importance of South-South and Triangular cooperation has been particularly highlighted by the Commission on Science and Technology for Sustainable Development in the South (COMSATS) – an intergovernmental organization of the developing countries based in Pakistan. COMSATS has been working to help improve member countries’ capacities to develop science-based solutions to the global challenges by pooling their knowledge and resources.
The webinar aims to provide a forum to the representatives of international organizations, UN agencies, and other donor and development organizations to:
- share their institutional experiences, lessons learnt and best practices in implementing S&T programs through South-South cooperation;
- elaborate strategic approaches to promote and scale up South-South cooperation;
- discuss the challenges faced by their organization in engaging in South-South Cooperation; and
- recommend means for mainstreaming South-South Cooperation towards achieving the SDGs in post-pandemic era.
1. Opening Remarks
- Dr. Akhtar Nazir, Executive Director, COMSATS Headquarters
2. High-level Talks
- Dr. Adel Abdellatif, Director a.i., United Nations Office for South-South Cooperation (UNOSSC) (TBC)
- Dr. Armida Salsiah Alisjahbana, Executive Secretary, United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (UNESCAP) (TBC)
- Prof. Dr. Romain Murenzi, Executive Director, The World Academy of Sciences (TWAS), Italy (TBC)
- Prof. Ai Likun, Assistant Executive Director, Alliance of International Science Organizations (ANSO)
- Dr. Carlos María Correa, Executive Director, The South Centre (TBC)
- Mr. Peter Mcgrath, Coordinator, InterAcademy Partnership (IAP), Trieste, Italy
- Prof. Mahouton N. Hounkonnou, President, The Network of African Science Academies
3. Discussion / Q&A Session