To commemorate the United Nations “World Cities Day”, on 29 October 2020 COMSATS Centre for Climate and Sustainability (CCCS) is jointly hosting a webinar in cooperation with its partner institution the Tanzania Industrial Research and Development Organization (TIRDO).
The United Nations General Assembly has designated the 31st of October as “World Cities Day”. Under the overarching theme of Better City, Better Life, this year the focus will be on “Valuing Our Communities and Cities”. The aim of the day is to focus the international community’s attention on urbanization as a central issue for development and to promote cooperation among countries in addressing urban challenges towards building sustainable development.
The webinar will focus on key issues of urbanization facing countries in the Global South. The webinar will bring together experts from the Global South to identify challenges of building sustainable urbanization and propose solutions in areas of health, access to clean drinking water, poor drainage system, air pollution, solid waste management, carbon emissions and environmental degradation.
3:00-3:05 – Welcome Remarks by Ambassador Shahid Kamal, Head CCCS
Technical Session 03:05-03:55 (7 min for each speaker)
- Prof.Demao Li, Tianjin Institute of Industrial Biotechnology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, China
- Prof. Ebrahim Moghimi, University of Tehran, Iran
- Dr. Bauyrzhan Yedilbayev, Al-Farabi Kazakh National University, Kazakhstan
- Dr. Akhtar Ali Shah, University of Peshawer, Pakistan
- Dr. Omer Kamal Alebeid, Industrial Research and Consultancy Centre, Khartoum, Sudan
- Ms. Kunda Sikazwe, TIRDO, Tanzania
- Prof. Julius B. Lejju, Mbarara University of Science and Technology, Uganda
03:35-04:05 – Panel Discussion
04:05-04:20 – Q&A
Closing Remarks – Dr. Lugano Wilson Mwansule, TIRDO