- When: Thursday, 14 July 2022; 7:30am – 9:00am (EST/ NY Time)
- How to Register: Click the Zoom link here.
The Co-chairs of the Group of Friends of Voluntary National Reviews (The Kingdom of Morocco and The Republic of the Philippines) and the United Nations Office for South-South Cooperation (UNOSSC) are co-organizing a side event entitled “South-South and triangular cooperation to support SDGs implementation: from the lens of Voluntary National Reviews (VNRs)” on the sidelines of the 2022 ECOSOC High-Level Political Forum (HLPF) for Sustainable Development.
The event will bring the Member States, UN entities, Researchers and Policymakers together to reflect on the importance of leveraging South-South and triangular cooperation to accelerate results across all SDGs, where relevant; to discuss their needs, challenges and good practices related to integrating South-South and triangular cooperation perspectives in VNRs, and in the implementation and monitoring of SDG 17 on partnerships for the Goals. The event will also further explore a road map to strengthen the integration of South-South and triangular cooperation in VNRs, including the UNDS support to the Member States.
The Member States, in the outcome document of the Second High-level United Nations Conference on South-South Cooperation (BAPA+40), recognize that South-South and triangular cooperation contributes to the implementation of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and to achieving the overarching goal of eradication of poverty in all its forms and dimensions. South-South and triangular cooperation is increasingly gaining momentum, complementing North-South cooperation, in support of achieving all 17 SDGs. The COVID-19 pandemic, combined with other shocks such as food security challenges, high inflation, and rising debt, remain a real test for the South-South and triangular cooperation that draw on strong solidarity among people and countries of the Global South to collectively respond and recover from the crisis. The countries leveraged various aspects of South-South and triangular cooperation to tackle the crisis, through sharing of knowledge and expertise, supplying and collaboratively producing medical equipment and vaccines, as mutual support in socioeconomic recovery efforts.
The VNRs are intended to track progress in implementing the 2030 Agenda, including the SDGs and targets, in all countries, in a manner that respects their universal and integrated nature and all dimensions of sustainable development. Integrating South-South and triangular cooperation into the national SDG planning processes, UN Sustainable Development Cooperation Frameworks (UNSDCFs) and national SDG reporting through VNRs, can facilitate the sharing of experiences, best practices, lessons learned, strengthening policies and institutions of governments, and the mobilization of multi-stakeholder support and partnerships with the view to accelerate the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals.
Moderator: Ms. Xiaojun Grace Wang, Deputy Director, UNOSSC
- Opening Remarks (focusing on an overview of South-South and triangular cooperation in support of SDGs and importance of integration into VNRs; 21 minutes: 3 speakers *7 minutes each)
- Co-Sponsors / Co-Chairs of the Group of Friends on Voluntary National Reviews (VNRs)
- H.E. Ms. Rosemarie G. Edillon, Undersecretary, National Economic and Development Authority of the Philippines
- H.E. Mr. Omar Hilale, Permanent Representative of Morocco to the United Nations
- H.E. María del Carmen Squeff, Permanent Representative of the Argentina to the United Nations and President of the High-level Committee on South-South Cooperation
- Presentations: (Focusing on case studies of South-South and Triangular cooperation in support of SDGs from the lens of VNRs; 35 mins: 5 speakers *7 minutes each)
- Member States
Country Examples: good practices and lessons learned in integrating South-South and triangular cooperation in SDG planning and VNRs
- Ambassador Ramsés Radhamés Lagos, Deputy Permanent Representative of Honduras to United Nations
- Ulrich Müller, Senior Adviser, German Agency for International Cooperation (GIZ)
- People’s Republic of Bangladesh (TBC)
- UN Resident Coordinators
Example: good practices and lessons learned on how UNDS has supported integration of South-South and triangular cooperation in VNRs at country level; as well as examples of integrating South-South and triangular cooperation in UNSDCFs.
- Susan Ngongi Namondo, UNRC in Uganda
- Shombi Sharp, UNRC in India
- Discussions (focusing on follow-up support to integrate South-South and triangular cooperation into VNRs; 30 minutes – 1 key discussant*5 mins each + 25 mins open floor)
- Friedrich Soltau, Senior Sustainable Development Officer, UNDESA
Possible entry points and roadmap to support integrating South-South and triangular cooperation in VNRs to enhance review and tracking progress in implementing the 2030 Agenda
- Open floor for discussion
- Closing Remarks (3 minutes) by Xiaojun Grace Wang, Deputy Director, UNOSSC
For details, contact: Mr. Bhushan Shrestha (firstname.lastname@example.org)