Translating Policies into Action at Regional and Country Levels
- When: 12 July 2023, 1:15-2:30 PM (EST)
- Where: Doha Conference Room, 304 E. 45th Street; FF Building 11th Floor
- Registration: To register for this event, please click here.
- Livestream: The event will be live-streamed on Zoom and on the UNOSSC YouTube Channel.
On 12 July 2023, on the occasion of the High-Level Political Forum on Sustainable Development, the Permanent Mission of Sri Lanka to the UN, jointly with the United Nations Office for South-South Cooperation (UNOSSC) and the United Nations Development Coordination Office (DCO), are co-organizing a side event on “The Role of South-South and Triangular Cooperation as an effective means of implementation for the 2030 Agenda and the SDGs: Translating Policies into Action at Regional and Country-levels.”
The side event will aim at:
- Present the draft Guidelines for the United Nations Country Teams and Regional UN Development System Entities on the Integration of South-South and triangular Cooperation into the United Nations Sustainable Development Cooperation Frameworks and Regional Collaborative Frameworks.
- Giving a thrust to the ongoing efforts of the UN system at country and regional level in supporting national governments to leverage South-South and Triangular Cooperation as effective means of implementation for the 2030 Agenda and the SDGs;
- Showcasing good examples of South-South cooperation, demonstrating partnership between Governments and the UN System in action at country level, including through the mainstreaming of South-South and triangular cooperation into UNSDCFs and regional collaborative frameworks to support the acceleration of the SDGs;
- Highlighting the mechanisms, knowledge resources and financing as well as UNOSSC service offer, available to governments and the UN system at country and regional level to enhance the utilization of South-South and triangular cooperation;
- Strengthening the nascent collaboration to develop the guidelines into training modules.
The multistakeholder event will bring together Member States, UN entities, researchers, policymakers and other relevant development partners.
1. Welcome and Opening Remarks
- H.E. Peter Mohan Maithri Pieris, HLC President and Permanent Representative of Sri Lanka
2. Remarks by Mr. Oscar Fernandez-Taranco, Assistant Secretary-General for Development Coordination, UN DCO
3. Remarks by Ms. Dima Al-khatib, Director, UNOSSC
4. South-South and triangular cooperation for investments in science, technology and innovations
- Mr. Shombi Sharp, UNRC India
5. Innovative financing and capacity building for SDG achievement through South-South and triangular cooperation
- Dr. Rita Colombia, RC, Saudi Arabia
6. Supporting Small Island Developing States (SIDS): strengthening policy coherence and resilience for adaptation to the risks from climate change through South-South cooperation
- Ms. Simona Marinescu, former UN Resident Coordinator, Samoa, Cook Islands, Niue, Tokelau and currently Senior Advisor Small Island Developing States, UNOPS
7. Discussion/ Q & A
8. Wrap-up and Closing Remarks
- Ms. Dima Al-khatib, Director, UNOSSC