- When: 3 May 2021 from 9:00 to 10:30 AM (New York Time)
- Registration: To register for this event, please click here
- Download the Concept Note
On the occasion of the 6th Multi-stakeholder Forum on Science, Technology and Innovation for the Sustainable Development Goals (STI Forum) the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO), the Permanent Mission of the Republic of Indonesia to the United Nations in New York and Cornell University are co-organizing a virtual event on The Future of Post-COVID Innovation Finance: Global Innovation Index 2020/2021.
While the topic of leveraging Science, Technology and Innovation to attain the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) has received significant consideration, the cyclical and structural effects on how to finance innovation, and the innovative approaches of countries on how to overcome these challenges, have not received sufficient attention. This event will contribute to overcoming this gap. Discussions will focus on the current and new challenges of financing innovation as they result from the current pandemic crisis.
The event will also shed light on the Global Innovation Index (GII) as a tool for the development and strengthening of technology and innovation ecosystems. As policymakers invest resources to analyze their GII results in cross-ministerial task forces and use the GII to design appropriate innovation and intellectual property (IP) policies, panelists will be invited to share their own national experiences and practices in using the GII as a policy instrument.
- Mr. Soumitra Dutta, Professor of Management and Former Founding Dean, SC Johnson College of Business, Cornell University & GII Co-Editor
1. Welcome remarks
- Ms. Ola Zahran, Head, World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) Office in New York
2. Opening addresses
- H.E. Ambassador Mohammed Koba, Chargé d’affaires, Permanent Mission of the Republic of Indonesia, and co-chair of the 2021 STI Forum
- Mr. Daren Tang, Director General, WIPO
3. Overview of the GII 2020 theme and impact of the pandemic on Financing Innovation
- Ms. Lorena Rivera Leon, Program Officer, Department for Economics and Data Analytics, IP and Innovation Ecosystems Sector, WIPO
- Mr. Sacha Wunsch-Vincent, GII Co-Editor & Head, Section, Department for Economics and Data Analytics, IP and Innovation Ecosystems Sector, WIPO
4. Impact of the COVID-19 Pandemic on Financing Innovation and Policy Measures and Experiences in Leveraging STI for Sustainable Development in a Post COVID-Area
- Special address by H.E. Mr. Fortunato T. De La Pena, Secretary, Department of Science and Technology, Philippines
- Mr. Errol Morrison, Chairperson, National Commission on Science and Technology, Jamaica
- Mr. Amos Nungu, Director General, Tanzania’s Commission of Science and Technology
- Mr. Zekeriya Coştu, Director General, National Technology, Ministry of Science and Technology, Turkey
5. Open discussion
6. Closing remarks
- Ms. Lorena Rivera Leon, Program Officer, Department for Economics and Data Analytics, IP and Innovation Ecosystems Sector, WIP