- When: 27 October 2020, 9.00-11.00 EST; 14.00-16.00 CET; 16.00-18.00 EAT; 18.30-20.30 IST
Designing for Impact: South-South Trade and Investment
In March 2019, for the first time ever, the outcome document adopted by the Second High-level United Nations Conference on South-South Cooperation (BAPA+40) recognized trade and investment as integral to achieving the Sustainable Development Goals. The International Trade Centre’s (ITC) South-South Trade and Investment Programme in partnership with the United Kingdom-based Institute of Development Studies jointly developed a methodology on designing and implementing South-South Trade and Investment programmes.
The methodology is an important tool in the current scenario of trade and investment in the global South being negatively impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic. It serves as a guide to policymakers, development agencies, and businesses for promoting trade and investments in a South-South context.
On 27 October 2020, ITC in partnership with the United Nations Office for South-South Cooperation (UNOSSC) and the Institute of Development Studies will organize a seminar to launch the methodology – Designing for Impact: South-South Trade and Investment – and host a high level conversation on South-South Trade and Investment: A Tool for Revitalizing the Global Economy Post Covid-19. The event will bring together senior policy makers, trade and investment professionals, technical assistance providers, civil society and the business sector actors.
- Highlight the importance of South-South and triangular trade and investment initiatives in the post COVID-19 world.
- Communicate how “Designing for Impact: South-South Trade and Investment” provides guidance to diverse stakeholders in designing trade and investment projects in the global South.
Moderator: Mr. Govind Venuprasad, Manager, South-South Trade and Investment Programme, ITC
1. Welcome and Launch of “Designing for Impact: South-South Trade and Investment”
- Ms. Pamela Coke-Hamilton, Executive Director, ITC
2. Key Messages from “Designing for Impact: South-South Trade and Investment”
- Dr. Amrita Saha, Research Fellow, Institute of Development Studies
- Ms. Vandana Prakash Nair, Programme Officer, ITC
3. South-South Trade and Investment: A Tool for Revitalizing the Global Economy post Covid-19 – A Conversation
- Hon. Betty C. Maina, Cabinet Secretary, Ministry of Industrialization, Trade and Enterprise Development, Government of Kenya
- Amb. Rahul Chhabra, Secretary, Economic Relations, Ministry of External Affairs, Government of India
- Mr. Robert Piper, Assistant Secretary-General for Development Coordination, Development Coordination Office
- Mr. Gavin McGillivray, Minister Counsellor for Development, British High Commission, New Delhi
- Ms. Dorothy Tembo, Deputy Executive Director, ITC
- Mr. Adel Abdellatif, Director ai, United Nations Office for South-South Cooperation
- Mr. Srini Nagarajan, Managing Director and Head of Asia, CDC Group
- Ms. Anthea Mulakala, Senior Director, The Asia Foundation
- Ms. Jing Gu, Director, Centre for Rising Powers and Global Development, Institute of Development Studies
- Mr. Sunil Reddy, Managing Director, Africure