UNOSSC and its partners have developed a fellowship component entitled “Youth for South Fellowship”, under the Youth4South umbrella, which offers funded opportunities to qualified young professionals and young scholars to undertake short-term research projects, pursue postgraduate degrees, and participate in exchange and training courses in areas including international affairs, international studies, development studies, public policy, public administration and management, international cooperation and South-South and triangular cooperation, at selected prestigious universities and research/technical institutes.
Youth4South Fellowship Pilot (2020-2021)
The Youth4South Fellowship (2020-2021) is piloted jointly with the Ministry of Education (MOE) of China by providing scholarships to a number of established young professionals and scholars from developing countries. The scholarships will be awarded according to the enrollment at the university or the institute, in line with existing China Scholarship Council (CSC) Chinese Government Scholarship schemes. The nominated applicant is required to indicate 2 preferences for university and programmes they would like to be considered for in their application package.
The three categories supported under the Youth4South Fellowship are:
Partner Universities for the Fellowship Programme
The Masters Degree Programme at the following selected universities is now open for application:
Youth4South Fellows present a research and dissertation project at the end of their fellowship. The idea is producing a systematic South-South and triangular cooperation solution and action plan for addressing a development challenge from their home country and institutional context, in line with the Sustainable Development Goals.
- Comply with ALL requirements and terms of MOE Chinese Government Scholarship Program
- Meets other admission requirements of the host universities to which the applicant has applied
- Not a concurrent awardee of a Chinese government scholarship
- Must be a citizen from a developing country. Nationals from LDCs LLDCs SIDs will be prioritized.
- Must be below the age of 35 (exceptions may be accepted with strong justifications on a case by case basis)
- Applicants must be recommended by government authorities, international organizations or inter-governmental organizations
Required Experience and Skills
- Holder of an undergraduate (bachelors) degree in economics, international development, public policy, public administration, social science or related fields and preferably with strong communication skills is a minimum requirement for China Agricultural University, Peking University, Fudan University
- Holder of an undergraduate degree (bachelors) degree or research/professional background in engineering, biology, chemistry is required by Tongji University.
- Holder of an undergraduate (bachelors) degree in economics or management is required by Shanghai University of International Business and Economics.
- Proficiency in English is required. Must possess an IELTS score of at least 7.0 or a TOEFL score of at least 100 points.
- Please specify any additional language proficiencies. Knowledge of Chinese language will be an asset
Note: Proficiency in Chinese is required for Masters programme with Shanghai University of International Business and Economics. Applicants who passed Chinese language test HSK level 6 are eligible for the programme. Applicants who passed HSK Level 4 can still be accepted with precondition to take one-year Chinese language classes before they start their major.
- At least 2 years of experience in research and/or working in sustainable development, social sciences or related fields is required
- At least 1 year of relevant professional experience in the areas of international development cooperation from respective Ministries/IGOs and Sector/technical cooperation agencies highly preferred
- Work experience may be considered equivalent for fellows with PhD or Masters degree
Applicants must complete the online application through South-South Galaxy portal by 31 December 2019. Shortlisted / successful will be contacted accordingly.Apply Now