With the objective of exploring the theme, presenting solutions to public managers, and informing the general public, the Brazil Africa Institute is organized a webinar on “International Cooperation Amid the Pandemic: Joint Solutions for Public Health” on 7 May 2020. The webinar was broadcast live and in English on the Brazil Africa Institute’s YouTube channel.
The COVID-19 pandemic has highlighted the weaknesses in public health policies around the world, even in developed countries. However, developing nations can be affected even more devastatingly by the crisis. The lack of structure and resources for responses makes collapses in health systems a reality.
The high-level dialogue was attended by the following speakers:
- Mr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, Director-General of the World Health Organization (WHO)
- Mr. Roberto Cláudio, Mayor of Fortaleza, Brazil
- Ms. Olive Shisana, Social Policy Special Advisor to the President of the Republic of South Africa
- Mr. Jorge Chediek, Director of the UN Office for South-South Cooperation (UNOSSC)
- Moderator: Professor João Bosco Monte, President, Brazil Africa Institute (IBRAF)
The dialogue focused on the current context of the COVID-19 pandemic and its consequences, especially in the countries that make up the global South. Participants talked about the impacts that the coronavirus has left on health systems and how international cooperation can help nations overcome the crisis.
Click here to access the recording of the webinar.
If you would like to connect with the speakers, kindly send us a request here.