- When: 12 September 2023, 9AM – 1PM (Kigali time)
- Where: Rwanda Cooperation Governance Center, Kigali
- Registration: for in-person participation, please click here. For virtual participation, please click here.
To highlight the importance of South-South Cooperation, the UN General Assembly has established 12th of September of every year as the United Nations Day for South-South Cooperation. This day also commemorates an important event in 1978 when the United Nations Conference on Technical Cooperation among Developing Countries adopted the Buenos Aires Plan of Action for Promoting and Implementing Technical Cooperation among Developing Countries (A/C.2/66/L.48).
The theme of the 2023 United Nations Day for SSC is “Solidarity, Equity and Partnership: Unlocking South-South Cooperation to Achieve the SDGs”.
Coming ahead of the SDG Summit, the UN Day for South-South Cooperation creates an opportunity to highlight needs emerging from various regions and to present transformative initiatives undertaken by Member States, the UN System, private sector, and civil society to address the most acute priorities in achieving the 2030 Agenda.
Celebrating United Nations Day for South-South Cooperation 2023 in Rwanda
As the agency in the lead of coordinating and mainstreaming Rwanda’s South-South Cooperation activities, the Rwanda Cooperation in partnership with the Rome-based agencies: FAO, IFAD and WFP, will celebrate the UN Day for South-South Cooperation 2023. The event will be hybrid – both online and held on 12 September 2023 at the Rwanda Cooperation Governance Centre.
The event will convene development partners, member so the Diplomatic Corps, public institutions and civil society to discuss implementation strategies and share knowledge on to accelerate:
- Establishment of appropriate mechanisms to mobilize resources;
- Complementary knowledge sharing and technical assistance;
- Development of platforms to increase policy dialogue and build capacities;
- Stakeholder engagement with the private sector, civil society & research institutions.