- When: Wednesday, 25 November 2020, 3:00PM (GMT +5)
- To join this webinar, please click here.
- To download the flyer, please click here.
The rapid population expansion and urbanization has led to an increasing demand of energy in almost all the sectors including residential, industrial and commercial sectors. The increase of energy need has various negative effects such as environmental degradation, price increases, decrease in resources and dependency on foreign resources.
Furthermore, energy consumption is one of the main drivers of economic growth around the world and most countries rely largely on different types of fossil fuels to meet their growing energy demands. For this reason, there is a need to make energy use efficient not only because of the scarcity of resources and the rising prices of fossil energy fuels, but also reducing the adverse impacts of climate change.
Energy efficiency, is a necessity for sustainable development, can be viewed as a set of efficiency enhancing measures such as preventing energy losses, waste recovery, and utilization, reducing energy demand through advanced technological processes, energy recovery systems and more efficient renewable energy resources such as solar, hydro, wind and biomass energy. In this context, one of the most important sectors is the industry, which has an important share in primary energy consumption.
Energy efficiency is among the key mitigation actions for the industry sector, and the energy intensity of the sector can be reduced by approximately 25% with the implementation of best available techniques. For this reason, it is extremely important to prioritize energy efficiency studies in the industrial sector and to increase the share of alternative and renewable energy sources.
COMSATS Centre for Climate and Sustainability (CCCS) in partnership with Environment and Cleaner Production Institute of Turkish Scientific and Technological Research Council (TUBITAK) is organizing a Webinar on 25 November 2020 to discuss Sustainable Development Goal 7 with reference to promoting clean energy, renewable energy, energy efficiency and clean energy technology.
1. Welcome Remarks
- H.E. Ambassador Shahid Kamal, Head CCCS
2. Technical Session
- Prof. Zhi Guang, Tianjin Institute of Industrial Biotechnology (TIB), China
- Ms. Jehan Haddad, Manager, Air Studies, Royal Scientific Society(RSS), Jordan
- Dr. Farrukh Raza Amin, Researcher, Centre for Climate Research & Development (CCRD), COMSATS University, Islamabad, Pakistan
- Dr. Lugano Wilson, Head of Energy Technologies, Tanzania Industrial Research and Development Organization(TIRDO), Tanzania
- Dr. Emrah SIK, Researcher, TUBITAK, Turkey
3. Panel Discussion 0
5. Closing Remarks
- Dr. Ozgur DOGAN, ECPI, TUBITAK, Turkey